Prerequisites for membership
1. To have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior.
2. To have followed Jesus Christ in the obedience of Christian baptism.
Membership by Baptism
Membership by baptism is offered to those who have accepted Christ, but have not yet been baptized as a believer. Baptism is primarily an act of obedience by a believer in Jesus Christ. TCC practices baptism by immersion. The church believes the attitude of the heart is more important than the method of baptism. People of the age of accountability are baptized, that is, of the age to make their own profession in Jesus Christ and follow Him in obedience of baptism.
The church, for this reason, does not practice infant baptism, but believes children are under the loving grace of God until they reach the age and maturity to make their own decision. Infants are, however, dedicated to the Lord with parents promising to teach them Christian principles.
Membership by Transfer of Church Letter
Tahoe Community Church accepts people into its membership by transfer of church letter. This simply means a person coming from another church has been provided a letter from the church stating that he has previously accepted Jesus Christ as His personal Lord and Savior and has followed Him in the obedience of Christian Baptism.
Membership by Statement
The church also accepts people into membership by Statement. When a person states that he has fulfilled the prerequisite for membership at a previous church, but does not have a letter from that church, he has membership by Statement.
Membership at Tahoe Community Church is based on the loving acceptance of the church members. By this acceptance, the church voices its willingness to love, care for, teach and fellowship with the new member. The new member agrees to do likewise.
Many worship services conclude with an invitation by the pastor on behalf of the Church for people to respond to God by:
1. Accepting Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.
2. Professing that they have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.
3. Responding to the Lord by following Him in the obedience of Baptism.
4. Requesting Church Membership.
All invitations are offered publicly before the church for two reasons:
1. Matthew 10:32 “Everyone therefore who shall confess me before men, I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.”
2. The pastors represent the church, and people are invited before the church to confess Christ, request baptism, and request membership.
There is responsibility that comes with membership
1. Regular worship attendance
2. Regular giving in tithes and offerings
3. Service to the Lord through the church ministries
4. Support of ministries through prayer
5. Attendance at Church Meetings
6. Loyalty in unity
Also, voting members have the privilege of voting on the addition and removal of pastoral staff and the acquisition and disposal of real property. Voting members must be resident members age 18 or older with regular worship attendance
Removal of Membership
Under certain conditions, a person may be removed from the membership rolls of Tahoe Community Church. These include:
2. Request of member to transfer membership to another church
3. Inactivity – those who do not attend worship or Bible study for
one year will be removed for inactivity.
4. Relocation – a person may request to be put on the Non-Resident membership roll, in which case he/she would continue to receive limited correspondence, but would not be active for the purpose of voting.
5. Pastor/Elder discretion – if there is a question as to the sincerity of a person’s commitment to Christ or the church body, a person’s membership may be removed.